Running native X applications locally on your iPhone

I have a few times missed running the other X11 app on my iPhone. Recently i found iX11 that actually is a local X server for the iPhone. Then, there’s nothing missing. All we have to do is to start compiling.

As always, all kudos goes to Saurik for his awsome work on porting the userland.

I still run a 2.x version of the iPhone OS because I like to sync music and stuff from Linux. The following may not work at all on 3.x. You also need a jailbroken iPhone. Nothing of this will work on a “clean” phone. You will probably also use the ssh server to upload source files and run commands. Doing this with a local terminal is possible, though extremely cumbersome.

The following will give you some basic X11 apps, running locally on your iPhone. You will need some basic UNIX skills, like knowing how to unpack and compile a source package. There’s no deep magic involved, though. If this breaks your phone in any way, you’ll keep all the parts. You’re on your own. Don’t blame anyone but yourself.

Video uploaded to YouTube

Install the following packages with apt-get. Don’t bother to start up cydia. That will only slow you down

iphone-gcc
com.bigboss.20toolchain
x11 xeyes xau xcb xcb-proto xext xextproto xmu xproto xt xtrans
ldid make gawk ed sed vim wget gzip tar

I also tend to use the backgrounder quite a lot, to start up things without using an external shell. Use apt-get again, and install

jp.ashikase.backgrounder

For source archives, I extracted sources from Fedora 11′s source packages, as they were handy, though I guess upstream sources would work as well.

Before you start, run the following as root to to turn off code signing checks.

sysctl -w security.mac.proc_enforce=0
sysctl -w security.mac.vnode_enforce=0

Now log in or su to the build user (ie. mobile). Download all the source packages to a convenient directory, like /var/mobile/src. I started out with the following packages:

libXdmcp and xauth – to test apps from another X workstation.

libXpm and libXaw – these are basic building blocks

xterm xbitmaps xsetroot twm – some basic user apps

Before compiling, the tool chain needs to find your local header files and stuff. The straigtforward approach is as follows:

export CPPFLAGS=-I/var/include
export CPP=/usr/bin/cpp
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
./configure -build=arm-apple-darwin9.4.1
make
su root -c "make install"

Start by compiling and installing libXdmcp and xauth. Then as root, cp xauth to /usr/bin. Now you can test xeyes on a X workstation.

$ ssh -X mobile@iphone xeyes

If this works, you’ll get four bonus points, and may take a break. Then compile and install libXpm and libXaw. This will take some time, perhaps an hour or more. There is a missing link in /usr/local/lib, so symlink libXaw.a to libXaw7.a. Does this mean that dynamically linking does not work? I don’t know. You may answer in the comments below.

Now, fire up vim and patch /usr/include/X11/Xpoll.h to ignore the tests on CSRG_BASED and BSD, and always ‘include <sys/param.h>’ and ‘typedef long fd_mask’. Simple!

Then you can build some user apps, xterm, xbitmaps, xsetroot, twm. Finally, since Christmas is coming, compile xsnow:

wget http://dropmix.xs4all.nl/rick/Xsnow/xsnow-1.42.tar.gz
tar xvzf xsnow-1.42.tar.gz; cd xsnow-1.42
gcc -O2 -I/var/include -I/var/include/arm -c -o xsnow.o xsnow.c
gcc -O2 -I/var/include -I/var/include/arm -c -o toon_root.o toon_root.c
gcc -o xsnow -O2 -L/usr/local/lib xsnow.o toon_root.o -lXext -lX11 -lm -lXpm
su root -c "cp xsnow /usr/local/bin"

Remember to ldid the binaries and libraries afterwards, and turn off code signing. in a root shell, do

for i in  /usr/bin/xauth /usr/local/bin/* /usr/local/lib/*dylib /usr/local/lib/*la; do ldid -S $i ;done
sysctl -w security.mac.proc_enforce=1
sysctl -w security.mac.vnode_enforce=1

Now make the fun begin: Start iX11, and in another shell, do

export DISPLAY=localhost:0
twm &
xsetroot -solid midnightblue
xsnow &
xterm -bg black -fg wheat &

Next: OpenOffice?

Update: Built fvwm as well. A bit more user friendly than old twm.
Update: Captured a video and posted it on YouTube.

20 Responses to “Running native X applications locally on your iPhone”

1. mart says:

very very nice :D you should make a repository with .deb files of them ;)

2. Olivier says:

Would this allow a progrom to run with Wine, inside iX11, on the iPhone ?

Olivier,

In theory, the possibility exists, given that somebody would do the necessary work on porting wine to the iPhone OS.

In practice: No. Porting wine to the iPhone OS is probably impossible because of the closed source nature of the OS. I also doubt that the iPhone does have enough computing power or RAM to run wine applications.

Given the lack of resources in the iPhone. the X display is also quite unstable while running local applications. It is more suited for running remote apps.

My hack was most a small fun project.

Ingvar

4. Dv says:

Actually, X applications could run fine on the iPhone, it depends on the memory usage of the X application, which some have very little memory usage. Secondly, porting wine has nothing to do with the nature of the OS, the OSs source avialability has little to do with it, if all wine needs is X and some C libraries and things built on that, there would be little or no problem. The iPhone OS is also actually the same core as OS X, based on an open source Unix OS, darwin. Its not exactly closed source. The problem would be Windows programs are compiled for x86, the iphone uses an ARM CPU.

5. Cypresslin says:

Hello, I’m stuck in installing libXdmcp…
    I download this library(ver. 1.1.0) from http://distfiles.macports.org/
    when I execute ./configure, it tells me: “checking for XDMCP… configure: error: Package requirements (xproto) were not met:”

But I did installed xproto beforehand. (via Cydia)
    Need some helps!

* Cypresslin
    > Hello, I’m stuck in installing libXdmcp…
    > I download this library(ver. 1.1.0) from http://distfiles.macports.org/
    > when I execute ./configure, it tells me: “checking for XDMCP… configure: > error: Package requirements (xproto) were not met:”
    > But I did installed xproto beforehand. (via Cydia)

Oh, but this was sooo long ago. I guess you have to tell configure where to find the X-libraries some way or another. I don’t have the build logs anymore, and I’ve reinstalled my iPhone since the last time I fiddled with this hack, so sorry.

Ingvar

7. Cypresslin says:

OK, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

8. BooCocky says:

Hello, I saw this blog and decided to give it a shot. I succeeded in porting Xterm thanks to this tutorial. I had trouble getting libXaw to compile, so I used neXtaw instead and voila. If you want Xterm for iDevice add my repo to cydia http://boococky.hostei.com/cydia

9. marvel says:

hi, i have successfully build all x11 library using linux toolchain3 (based http://code.google.com/p/iphonedevonlinux). but when i try to build xeyes, i get :
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/iphone/src/x11/xeyes-X11R7.0-1.0.1′
    arm-apple-darwin9-gcc -I/home/iphone/sys/usr/include -I/home/iphone/usr/include -I/home/iphone/include -L/home/iphone/sys/usr/lib -L/home/iphone/usr/lib -L/home/iphone/lib -o xeyes xeyes-Eyes.o xeyes-transform.o xeyes-xeyes.o /home/iphone/usr/lib -lm
    ld: in /home/iphone/sys/home/iphone/usr/lib, can’t map file, errno=19
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [xeyes] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/iphone/src/x11/xeyes-X11R7.0-1.0.1′
    make: *** [all] Error 2

all x11 (static) library installed :
    ls /home/iphone/usr/lib/
    gettext libpcrecpp.a libpcreposix.la libX11.la libXaw6.la libXaw.la libxkbfile.la libXmuu.la libXrender.la X11
    libICE.a libpcrecpp.la libSM.a libXau.a libXaw7.a libXdmcp.a libXmu.a libXpm.a libXt.a
    libICE.la libpcre.la libSM.la libXau.la libXaw7.la libXdmcp.la libXmu.la libXpm.la libXt.la
    libpcre.a libpcreposix.a libX11.a libXaw6.a libXaw.a libxkbfile.a libXmuu.a libXrender.a pkgconfig

any idea ?

Thanks.

10. Guigeek says:

Hello! I’m trying to get your method working but I’ve a problem with libxpm: when linking, it stops saying ld can’t find libc (and libiconv, that returned same message when compiling too!), but libc doesn’t exist for arm (or tricky)?
    So, do you remember if you had to install other libraries like libc?
    Thanks in advance!

11. Guigeek says:

Hello! I\’m trying to get your method working but I\’ve a problem with libxpm: when linking, it stops saying ld can\’t find libc (and libiconv, that returned same message when compiling too!), but libc doesn\’t exist for arm (or tricky)?
    So, do you remember if you had to install other libraries like libc?
    Thanks in advance!

12. Fenyx says:

@Gulgeek

if you’re compiling on idevice..

libc, libdl, libpoll, libpthread, libm should all be symlinks to libSystem.dylib
    libSystem should be a symlink to libSystem.B.dylib

ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib /usr/lib/libc.dylib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib /usr/lib/libdl.dylib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib /usr/lib/libpoll.dylib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib /usr/lib/libm.dylib

you can download gcc for iphone and the toolchain from my cydia repo:

13. bush_rat says:

ok, i tried this and managed to compile 2 of the packages, thats when it all turned to ****. I couldnt compile any other packages, couldnt figure out how to use iX11, and, this one takes the cake, managed to remove all permissions from everything! :) lololololololol

All fine now, just did a restore, but **, i thought i finally bricked my 2nd gen(hardly worth saving, but its just too useful)

any way to my point, dont do this unless your completely and utterly confident with your iDevice, i nearly lost mine on a hunt for GIMP for iOS! lol

14. Nicholas says:

Hello Invgar. I know this was several years ago, but could you gimme some basic instructions on how to do this without code signing (AppSync [I don’t pirate apps, don’t worry ;)). Also, a 2 minute video tutorial would be nice, I just need one example compilation. Thanks so much =D.

Hello, Nicholas

Sorry, I haven’t booted up my old iPhone for at least a year, and it will stay that way. I converted to Android, and never looked back.

I guess the iPhone jailbreak community is still friendly as I found it, so you’ll probably get help there.

I found that compiling stuff on the iPhone much resembles compiling unix stuff on any other Unix variant, like Linux, BSD, or even Mac OSX. If you’re not into this, you should start in the right end; that is: Get yourself a proper Unix box, and start hacking there. I find Fedora most hacker-friendly (using hacker in its most positive meaning), though Debian/Ubuntu, the BSDs, or even Mac will do. When you’re up to speed compiling and building stuff with gcc and make there, continue by jailbreaking your iPhone, install Cydia, and get gcc, make and other stuff from the cydia repos. I guess they are even more complete now than five years ago.

Good luck,
    Ingvar

16. wyatt says:

i did something similar – only using the official apple SDK in a chrooted environment (when i tried installing it normally i inevitably ended up making it un-bootable). I just saw this afterwards, but it is a great exercise in *nix aptitude. I had never had a reason to chroot before besides when i reinstalled grub on a old PC from a live USB, and that time i just copy-pasted instructions. this was my first time really messing with the toolhain and the guts of my iphone (even though I’ve had it for years), and it was a blast.

17. wyatt says:

PS

I used clang to build everything, not GCC (with only two exceptions, because of C++ woes).

18. wyatt says:

oh, and nicholas, I have some experience with that (built GLQuake for my iphone as a .ipa in xcode with fake signatures). I will try to post here if i make a video.

19. Znet says:

_ComputeLayout in libXaw6_la-Viewport.o
    _ComputeLayout in libXaw6_la-Viewport.o
    “_XwcFreeStringList”, referenced from:
    __SelectionReceived in libXaw6_la-TextAction.o
    ld: symbol(s) not found
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: [libXaw6.la] Error 1 (ignored)
    CC libXaw7_la-Actions.lo
    cc1: warning: -Wuninitialized is not supported without -O
    ^Cmake[2]: [libXaw7_la-Actions.lo] Error 1 (ignored)
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Interrupt: 2
    make: *** [all] Interrupt: 2

I haven’t done anything on iPhone for several years, so sorry, can’t help you there. But I guess there still is an active iPhone jailbreak community out there to help you, though. Good luck, and happy hacking.

Ingvar